Download PDF 183kb
Graphic Designer, Web Developer, Communications Specialist
Telephone: +39 333 4928016
Blog: hypertexthero.com/logbook (design), simongriffee.com (photography)
Homebase: Rome, Italy and the Internets
I have 14 years of professional experience as a communications project manager, graphic designer and web developer working with small and large teams in startups and organizations such as FAO, where I am currently part of the communications team of the International Plant Protection Convention.
I enjoy all aspects of web development from content strategy and information architecture to usability and accessibility and hands-on coding and design. I am capable of both developing the strategic overview of a project and also focussing on the practical details. I am passionate about the open web, clear communication, clean code and clean markup. Some of the things I’ve done:
- Managed teams of designers and developers both in-person at FAO and locally and remotely in the course of various freelance projects
- Conducted research and developed strategic documents and reports to promote brands and generate public support for objectives
- Provided design support and technical advice on the creation and evolution of websites
- Identified and advised on new tools and approaches to benefit corporate communications and advocacy goals
- Designed, coded and deployed multi-user content management systems supporting features such as automatic user registration, document uploads, forums and API services using the Django web framework, Drupal, Wordpress and other systems
- Designed and oversaw production of print and branding materials including brochures, logotypes, letterheads and posters
I'm interested in freelance work or a position in a good communications team.
Communications Specialist, Web Developer & Graphic Designer
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome, Italy
June 2009–Present (4 years)
Promoted the International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC) brand and generated public support for its objectives. Provided design support and technical advice on the creation and evolution of websites. Identified and advised on new tools and approaches to benefit IPPC's corporate communication and advocacy goals.
- Designed, coded and deployed multi-user CMS which supports automatic user registration and document uploads using the Django web framework and Drupal CMS.
- Wrote basic Django CMS which also writes static HTML pages for the ephyto.ippc.int website
- Designed and oversaw production of print materials including brochures, logotypes, letterheads and posters such as IPPC's 2011 poster
Freelance Web & Graphic Designer
2005–Present (8 years)
Worked on a variety of web and print projects for clients around the world, from companies in London and internet start-ups in Silicon Valley to software teams involved with FAO and international schools in Rome.
Acotel Group S.p.A, Rome, Italy
2003–2004 (1 year)
Responsible for client-side accessible website design, mobile interface design, marketing and advertising multimedia campaigns and identity design of Acotel Group S.p.A and related companies.
- Designed, coded and deployed one of the first web standards-compliant corporate websites in Europe at the time - acotel.com
- Designed graphics, icons and posters for mobile, web and print media
European Artisans, Various, Rome, Italy
1999–2003 (4 years)
English (written & spoken - fluent)
Portuguese (written & spoken - fluent)
Italian (written and spoken - good)
French (written & spoken - basic)
Writing & Photography
I write about web and graphic design at and keep a photographic notebook at simongriffee.com. Some highlights:
Skills & Expertise
Bournemouth University · 1996–1999
BA (Hons) Creative Advertising - copywriting, art direction, marketing, digital design
Bournemouth and Poole College of Art & Design · 1997–1998
City & Guilds Diploma with Distinction in Photography
Photography, web, travel, open source & open internet, philosophy, typography, art history, nature, astronomy, ‘open world’ computer games, music, (blues guitar, jazz, classical), vintage aeroplanes, basketball
!/images/mylius/myliusad.gif (Mylius Condensed Sailing Pleasure advert with a can styled after Andy Warhol’s Campbell’s Tomato Soup.)!:/work/mylius-ad
p(caption). Mylius full-page magazine advert published in Il Giornale della Vella and Solo Vela magazines. “See a larger image (Photograph of the Mylius advert.)":/work/mylius-ad.
!/images/mylius/myliusbrochure-back.jpg (Back cover of Mylius brochure styled after Warhol’s multiple Marylin imagery.)!:/work/mylius-brochure
p(caption). Mylius brochure back cover styled after Warhol’s multiplied imagery. “See the entire brochure (Photos of brochure spreads.)":/work/mylius-brochure.
h3. Mylius Yachts
Magazine advert and brochure design
Mylius Yachts needed to update its image to differentiate and help distinguish the Mylius brand in the saturated yacht builders market. A principal brief requirement was to emphasize the flexibility of the Mylius 11E25 yacht model which had features usually found only in larger boats.
Sailing art idea. Andy Warhol. Condensed Sailing Pleasure. Strong colors. Elegant implementation. In July 2005 Mylius sold their first yacht with the help of this ad and brochure.
h4. Work Done
Ad ideas, graphic design, typesetting and page layout.